Saturday, July 12, 2008



-Eric, please give us a brief personal introduction.


40 years old, from International Falls, MN, married 13 years, 1 daughter 3 yrs old, Graduated college with bachelors in Biology, minored in Psych and Chemistry. Loves to play sports, especially ice hockey.




-Please tell us how you first became interested in fashion. Your career background is in transportation, so for your designs to be so unique it is quite unexpected.

It was a fluke, I was watching MIchael Jordan back in 1993 try to place the end of a dress shirt collar behind the necktie . The collar did not lay right so I thought why not shape the collar to put the ends of the collar behind the necktie for a smoother look. One collar led to another, which led to a revolutionary collection of shaped, or courturier collars, cuffs, neckties, etc.




-As I understand your clothing is only produced by you. In your own words you don't have the money or infrastructure to push ahead. If you had the resources to produce whatever you wanted, what would the full Eric Glennie line contain? Would you pay for advertising or would your business model be less conventional?

The ideas behind the clothes is conceived by me and each design leads into another. I take my ideas to a local seamstress who hems or recollars the shirts with my designs. I was coming up with so many ideas, that I ran out of money to finish my handmade samples. I was worried about other designers knocking off my ideas be so I continued to cut the designs, but did not actually finish the garment due to a lack of funds. Even though some of my ideas aren't finished, the idea of what I was planning is still visible." If I had the resources , I would put on the most revolutionary fashion show in the history of fashion design. I have a lot more ideas that will blow the fashion industry into the next dimension in style. My dresses are one of a kind, 3-dimensional pieces. My shoes will be historical. I just need to work with and mentor with fashion insiders that can take my vision in design and translate into fabric. The full Eric Glennie line will include hats all the way down to shoes. I have innovative ideas for almost everything and cutout and cutaway design is the future of fashion. I believe editorials will be my advertising to start out and then I will pay advertisers to continue the word about Eric Glennie..




-Your ideas constantly re-appear on fashion runways across the world, under many different labels. Does this affect your future work?

Karl Lagerfeld once said that if a design is copied, then it must be good!" I am flattered my ideas are hitting the runways because they are beautiful when the garment is completed professionally, rather than by a basement seamstress. My look is very unique and I believe the fashion editors and buyers know the mind behind the innovations walking todays runways. It is just a matter of time before I get my chance to play the fashion game. Most of the major fashion players in the media and showrooms know about my work for the past 5 years.




-Do you have an opinion about labels and designers that recycle ideas?


Recycled ideas are the ones that sell and keep companies in business and people employed. Conceptual fashion ( or risky ideas) are fun to see, but dont put bread on the table. However, I do feel my conceptual ideas will make a significant contribution to the fashion economy and the fashion business. I just need to get the word out and put some real samples on the runway to show how beautiful my ideas are. I need money and a manufacturer so the buyers know I can produce when called upon. The fashion world needs Eric Glennie to show confidence and get connected with the infrastructure to make these new, innovative ideas come to life. Fashionistas all over the world need to get excited about a new designer with a new equation in fashion design..




-Who do you feel has made the most significant influence on men's fashion in the last 5 years and why?

Hedi Slimane got people talking about menswear and the changing silouette from masculinity to androgynous. Models went from beefcakes to geeks which is cool. Raf Simons has upped the skinny silouette with his unique tempered sleeve to skinny the mans body even further to an hourglass, kind of womanly, figurine.




-Do you have a favorite designer? Favorite collection?

My favorite designer is Karl Lagerfeld. He is fresh, unique, and always changes up his looks. Karl is not a one note band . He honors tradition and follows up with uniqueness.




-Do you allow your friends and family to wear samples of your clothing? Does your current work have any branding or labeling, and if so can we see photos of it?

I have worn my clothes out before and to job interviews.




-What does your slogan, “Dare to Wear Different” mean to you personally?

Women like to stand apart in fashion, whereas men feel comfortable looking alike. It is hard and courageous for a man to step outside traditional style and wear something different in a room of traditional men. Women talk behind each others back, whereas men say there point of view to your face which can be intimidating. I takes courage to be a man and wear a new style.




-Your work hasn't always been received positively. What, if anything, do you have to say to the very rude persons who choose to not only criticize your work, but personally insult you?

I would be worried if they did not say anything at all because then I know my work is for nothing. Fashion is like a playground of kids, they tease me because they are jealous. The most beautiful girl on the playground is the one with the most attention and teased the most. Teasing is a man's way of breaking the ice and communicating. I believe I am the most innovative designer in the history of menswear, if not fashion as a whole and I believe the jesters see the potential of what I am introducing to fashion. It will take some time to digest my innovation.




-The bulk of your work has been in formal wear, do you have any plans to apply your innovation to different styles of clothing ?

I think my greatest innovation will be bevel bottom blue jeans and the shaping of cuffs around the shoe heel. The worldwide implications can be astronomical, like bell bottomsof the 70's, but shaped cuffs will be around forever. I want to make the history books and change the way every person in the world dresses, not just a few rich people that can afford couturier style. Fashion is and has been all about the dress, and I want to say there are other garments like ties, cuffs, shirts, hats, etc that need a courtier's touch.

No comments: